A 4-mile segment of Hwy 5 will be resurfaced and improved between the Dairy Queen in Victoria and Hwy 41 in Chanhassen. The purpose of the project is to maintain existing infrastructure and make safety enhancements including intersection/turn lane improvements, access modifications, and drainage improvements. This work will also improve the mobility and efficiency of Hwy 5.
To have MNDot information on closures, detour routes and construction sent to your inbox, sign up for the “Hwy 5 Victoria” MNDot Email Updates or subscribe to updates from the VictoriaDetour.org website that also include upcoming events, communications from the City of Victoria as well as updates on the Construction. Click SUBSCRIBE on the right sidebar.
Hwy 5 will close at various times during construction. Access to local businesses and residences will be maintained throughout the project. MNDot be able to pinpoint the required closure locations and estimate their duration as construction plans are finalized. Every effort will be made to minimize the effect this project has on the community and motorists. See Project Update from March 22, 2012. As we receive more updates from MNDot, they will be posted on this website under Construction Updates.
It is important to note that Hwy 5 will be OPEN East of the Bridge Replacement and West of the Sink Hole. You can travel Northbound on CR 11 (Victoria Drive) and turn right or left onto Hwy 5 until you reach the bridge or the sink hole locations. You will have full access to every Victoria Business and we encourage you to continue to do business with all local merchants. There will be a period of 3-4 days when that section of Hwy 5 will undergo pipe replacement, but you can use local roads for access.
Stage 1: May 1 – May 15 turn lane improvements at Hwy 5 & Hwy 41
Stage 2: May 30 – Aug 30 Hwy 5 and Hwy 11 work in Victoria
- Construct right turn lane from CR 11 into Hwy 5 by the Dairy Queen
- Remove and replace bridge over Lake Minnetonka Regional Trail
- Add a sidewalk from Hwy 5/CR 11 to the Holiday and pedestrian ramps at the stoplight
- Reconstruct settling section of Hwy 5 west of 78th St. (sink hole in front of HEI)
- Resurface (mill and overlay) Hwy 5 and reconstruct shoulders
Stage 2A: May 15 – June 28 Work on Hwy 5 and CR 13 (Bavaria Rd)
- Pipe replacements on Hwy 5 between Quamoclit St. and 80th St. (between KleinBank and the Fire Station). Done after May 30, 2012 and shall not exceed 4 consecutive days.
- Construct right turn lane from Bavaria Rd (CR 13) onto Hwy 5
Stage 2B: July 6 – Aug 30 Hwy 5 Construction
- Work on Hwy 5 from Minnewashta Parkway west to 78th Street (near The Baker Building)
- Pedestrian underpass at Minnewashta Pkwy intersection (by Faith Lutheran Church)
- Turn lanes at Kochia and Park Dr.
- Add drainage improvements and ponds
- Mill and overlay (resurfacing)
Benefits of the project:
- Provide smoother ride by resurfacing four miles of heavily travelled roadway
- Extend road service life and reduce short-term maintenance costs
- Add capacity, efficiency and safety through turn lane improvements, signal modifications, access modifications and drainage improvements
- Improve pedestrian mobility and safety with a new pedestrian underpass east of Minnewashta Parkway near the Arboretum
- Improve overall drainage and replace aging pipes beneath the road